Friday, March 26, 2010

What I've Been Reading to Become a Writer

The first book I read was about marketing and becoming known as a writer to begin with was called: Get Known Before the Book Deal written by Christina Katz, who I have gone so far as to become facebook friends with her. Her audience is mostly mothers who want to become writers, but as a post graduate student I found her information extremely helpful. Her book has caused me to join three different regional writer's associations, start volunteering at a local writing center, and yes, even start this blog. This was no end to her suggestions as to how to put yourself out there as a writer and I must say, even if the name Angela Michelle Scott does not carry any weight yet, I do feel like I am participating in more of the writing community now. If only I could afford to go to conferences as she suggests, but at least now I know to save money for them.

The second book, which I am only about half way through with at this point is called: Getting Started as a Freelance Writer written by Robert W. Bly. I have not found it extremely helpful so far and in general it seems to be way too optimistic. I cannot count the number of times he has told everyone how much he makes as a freelance writer, $600,000, which I have memorized because I think he brags about his success in every other sentence. That is great for him, but please share more details about how you got there and don't start with negotiating fees and fines for writing...because for someone just starting this is way over our head! Finally, on about page 70 it explains to the reader where they may start to look for entry-level jobs, this is the only thing that has proven helpful to me thus far, the rest of the beginning should probably be for a more advanced freelance writer than an entry-level one.

No comments:

Post a Comment