Monday, November 8, 2010

6:30 in the Morning

I have mixed feelings about the night shift, particularly when all my co-workers leave and I am left her with a few busy janitors around 6:30 in the morning.

On the one hand, I am seeing a part of the day that no one else gets to see. I work in a modern constructed building meaning that the facade of the building is all windows and I get to watch the sky change all kinds of intricate colors as the sunrises everyday. While I am at a desk, since not many are familiar with 6:30 in the morning its peaceful and I can read, write or get any kind of computer work done. It's quite an easy job at 6:30 in the morning.

On the other hand, 6:30 in the morning is a lonely time. There is no one here except me and a few busy janitors. There is no one to tease or play with, or relieve me from the desk if I have to go to the little girl's room. If anything is to happen in the building...I will be the only one here and even though I am trained and have everyone's numbers at my finger tips, it still makes me panic a little inside.

Oh 6:30 in the morning, what am I supposed to do with you? I used to dread you when I had to wake up at this time and now I am glad because it means my shift is almost done, but are you lonely or serene, I guess it will just vary by the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment