Saturday, November 19, 2011

Make the Time, Find the Place

I have decided that I am going to fight this identity crises, I am a writer and writing is what I will do dammit. I think what may have sucked the fun out of it for me was when I started thinking of writing as a second job...writing as work, instead of expression and escape. So, I just need to set myself up to work and make writing fun at the same time.

When I saw Margo Rabb speak-mentioned in a previous blog- she called the first part of writing a novel "coffee shop time." She said that she initially goes to a coffee shop sits there with a nice drink and spaces out in order to see her entire novel scene by scene like a movie. This sounded so appealing and relaxing to me that I am going to take her advice. This will be step one to writing my novel...

I just need to find a time and a place.

A time is easier to decide on, I work 9-5 Wednesday through Sunday and I don't see why after work I cant spend at least one evening spending time relaxing and writing.

A place is a little more difficult...I want to find a local coffee shop that is my writing spot. This will save valuable seconds deciding where I want to write each night. This writing spot of mine will require the following:

1.) Hours that fit with my schedule
  • This will typically be about 6pm-11pm unless I go on a day off
2.) Inexpensive Drinks
  • After all I am a bohemian and cannot afford to pay a toneach visit
3.) A cozy place to daydream and sit
4.) Local
  • Preferably within walking distance or a place that has free parking
5.) People that do not Annoy me, will be friendly but not distracting

So my mission is set...and I choose to accept it: #1- start writing in free time and #2-hunt for the perfect coffee shop to become my writing spot...

No comments:

Post a Comment