Saturday, November 19, 2011

Primo Coffee


I wasted no time in my investigation and tonight I dragged my best friend Carla to check out Primo Coffee (Yes it does exist!) with me.

Something I forgot to mention in my criteria in looking for a coffee shop before is I would like there to be something unique and whimsical about the place I choose as my writing spot.

Based on this criteria, at first glance of Primo Coffee I was not impressed. There is the same traditional drinks, groovy lamps that hang from the ceiling, a couple cozy arm chairs and some wooden tables. I feel like it was made from a coffee shop cookie cutter.

Then I looked in their food case and saw their gigantic Primo muffins of all different sorts. The tops of them were so big that the muffins had to lay on their sides. So while the atmosphere here may be very provincial the food items were gourmet.

Also on my way out, I noticed they had plants growing on their windowsill, but not just in a traditional pot. There is actually a plant growing out of a leather boot. For some reason when I saw it I wondered if just maybe this is how Jack would've planted his beanstalk and points for Primo Coffee's uniqueness shot up.

I am not much of a coffee drinker and was planning on getting tea, but upon arrival they had a fantastic advertisement for a low-fat strawberry banana smoothie and I just had to get it. For a smoothie it was reasonably priced at $3.90 for a medium, not as cheap as I would like it to be...but hey for a bohemian artist (or anyone really) nothing ever is. It was delicious!

The comfy chairs here could be sat in for hours, especially while gazing into the flames of their crackling fireplace.

I did find I need to be patient with their free Wi-Fi because it is not as high speed as the highest speed internet I have at home, but if I'm coming here to get work done this may not always be such a bad thing.

It is quiet enough here. The music is not loud and disturbing, but has a beat to it that may just take me to far away land. I may not relate to the people here though. Everyone besides me and Carla either has gone gray in the hair or is bald. Not exactly in our five year post-graduate demographic, but no judgment, after all it is a Saturday night and our demographic may have more exciting things to do with their lives. At a different they may be here, in the meantime at least no one here is intimidating or disruptive.

All and all Primo Coffee is not too bad. I might have considered making it my spot except for one thing... the hours. I was very disappointed to get here at seven and discover the hours on the website were incorrect and this place is not open until 10pm or 11pm, but is only open until 8pm.

I will have to continue my search, however if I'm ever passing by here on my way home from the Ypsilanti Whittaker branch library I will not hesitate to stop for a smoothie or a muffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment