Monday, October 11, 2010

Biology Seminar Article- Disappointed in editor's typo

I decided to test the waters and write a news article instead of writing all features. I wrote about a biology seminar, a subject matter way out of my comfort zone and therefore, I felt least confident about it, so not sure I will be taking on a story like that again.

I am also extremely disappointed that the very first word in the article contains a typo that is not mine. Meaning my name is on an article where they changed the opening sentence I created to one that says "his" instead of "This" and then having this get past the news editor and the editor-in-chief makes me concerned about writing news articles at all for this periodical.

It is still experience, but how am I supposed to proudly display this in my portfolio? I mean its the very first word for god's sake!!!! So let me just tell all of you, my beginning sentence was:

"On Wednesday, October 6, in room 247 at Mckenny Union, Dr. Joan Rose, from Michigan State
University spoke to an audience of approximately thirty students on whether or not we should be concerned with state of our water at the first biology seminar of the year entitled: “Water Quality and Health in the Great Lakes.”

This sentence may have needed to be changed for whatever reason, but if I had started with "This" I would've been sure it said "this" and not "his."

Article: Biology Seminar Article

1 comment:

  1. I sent an e-mail to the editors...my life at the Echo may be short lived if the e-mail ticks them off. :/
    Should I have sucked this up, is this typical?

    ReplyDelete