Sunday, October 17, 2010

I screwed up...

I lost my planner this week, I always think I have my schedule perfectly under control, but as it turns out without that stupid book, I forget what I scheduled and I continue to plan things on top of other events with only my work schedule in mind....That being said I should not have been so upset about the typo and thinking the Echo was unorganized, when I screwed up this time.

I accidentally agreed to take an article assignment tomorrow night, when I had a prior committment. I just thought, well I have Monday nights free, but I didn't think about how I do not have October 18th free.

They gave the assignment to me at the meeting today, with the sharp deadline of Wednesday morning (they had not assigned any Life stories for Thursday yet) and I realized my error around 9:30pm and tried to both e-mail and call the editor to cancel, but received no response. I offered to make it up somehow with another story or event, but I don't know if that helps. I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake. I would not have made that stupid mistake if that stupid planning book, which seemed like such a waste of paper, was not missing!!

What's more is I'm not entirely sure how I fit into the world at the Eastern Echo, I felt like such an outsider at the meeting today and while I ask questions, annoyingly so, I really wish I had someone to take me under their wing and show me the ropes. Instead, I got all tense and timid and my imagination started making everyone look like they were giving me glowering stares. This screw up is not going to help my image.

I wonder if people wonder what a non-journalism grad student, creative writer undergrad is even doing there...I wonder if they are annoyed by my journalism ignorance and the fact that if this were a real paper or magazine then I would have no chance in hell on their staff. I wonder if I've just walked into territory that was already spoken for and I wonder how I can stop wondering all these negative things.

This has not been my week, but I will keep trying-made up glowering stares or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment