Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Magical Fairies

So as mentioned before, in order to make a living while working on my writing career I took a full-time job at the University of Michigan's Art, Architecture and Engineering Library working as a late night technician/information resources assistant. The late night technician parts is just a fancy way of saying I work midnights and like a vampire, I barely see the sun.

I really kinda hate this job for several reasons (one being the unrealistic hours)...but instead of going into those reasons I will share with you the things I think to make myself laugh while on the shift.

I am a magical fairy. Yes, this sounds odd, but let me explain. While I was being trained and my co-worker was listing all the tasks we are responsible for one of the things he said was "So we basically try to fix and watch out for things at night, so the morning people don't knwo how chaotic it was..." I immediately began picturing us fleeting and fluttering around picking up books, shelving them, shutting off lights and making sure no patron was left behind.

Without thinking about it, I actually said "So we're like magical fairies that come in and fix everything at night."

He kinda laughed and agreed. I am so glad he is secure in his masculinity, not all men woul'dve reacted so well to me calling them a fairy.

From then on whenever, I have to complete the dreaded task of searching for a book that no one has been able to find for years, or counting all the people in the building and unjamming printers...I think of myself as that mythical, fleeting creature and feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment