Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mermaids


First of all I would just like to give a shout out to my dear friend Robin Bennett, whose own blog Broken Bird inspired this posting of mine and it's a take off on her post entitled: "Brown Chicken, Brown Cow" about her desire to be sexy.

I read this post and very snobbishly and thought, I've never had a real desire to feel sexy as a woman. I never wanted to be one of those long-legged, tight little dress and 6-inch pump wearing girls at the fancy evening party. I never wanted to be the girl to turn heads and be stared at...as an early developer I got too much of that attention already.

Then I took a moment to re-think the situation. It's true I never wanted to be the turning-heads-at-a-party kinda sexy, but I have felt the need to be seductive. I've just wanted to be the mysterious girl that no one notices, or only gets noticed and dazzles people when she wants too...like a mermaid.

Mermaids take to the water and only reveal themselves to sailors, boaters or pirates when they want too, but when they do surface it's such an amazing experience for the viewer that he is stopped dead in his tracks. If he is holding anything it immediately drops and his mouth hangs open, because he just cannot believe this stunning creature exists...which by the way, I am a true believer in mermaids and perhaps their stunning beauty is the reason no one else can believe their existence.

What's more is a mermaid with her long, lustrous hair and flashy fin also calls young men to her attention with her talent and bravery. Sometimes, her singing voice draws men closer and sometimes it's because she saves a drowning man.

So, Robin was right, while her case may be different, every woman has the desire to be sexy in their own way...and as one of my favorite books "A Mermaid's Tale" by Amanda Adams says:

"No man can resist a mermaid."

No comments:

Post a Comment