Monday, October 11, 2010

Update on Typo

I e-mailed the news editor and editor-in-chief of the Echo about the first word in the article saying "his" instead of "this." I received a very nice and polite reply from the editor-in-chief Joshua Coudret.

He said that he understood my frustration, but the good news is this was only a website upload error and the mistake did not show up in actual print...I checked and they were able to fix the mistake on the website itself! This made me feel like a million times better.

He then went on to explain that in the newspaper business errors can be expected because work has to be done quickly. This I knew, but I understood why he was saying it after my harshly worded e-mail. I don't expect all articles I write to be error free and God knows I would never want them published exactly how I turn them in, so I am very thankful for the editors. I was just frustrated because it was the very first word in the article...it would've been different if it was not as obvious.

Which is what he said in the last paragraph, he said that the original draft I sent in was good, but that I may want to research AP style a bit more and I did appreciate his criticism because it will help me improve my writing.

The tips I have gotten from the life editor, Janis Tsai and him have been very helpful and so I will continue to write for the Echo and I hope there is not harsh feelings in the whole situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment