Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"Life as We Know It" Really Did Blow It


Life As We Know It trailer


Excited about the plot line and totally stoked to see the beautiful Katherine Heigl (Holly) and the dreamy Joshua Duhamel (Messer) , I saw the movie "Life as We Know it" on its release date Friday, October 8th.

The two stars, who at the beginning of the movie don't get along after a horrid blind date, inherit custody of their recently deceased best friends' 1-year-old, Sophie. They end up living under the same roof, which is a mansion that was owned by their deceased friends.

Sounds like a pretty good romantic comedy, right? The problem is I just told you the meat of what happens. I love sappy, predictable romantic comedies more than most people, but I can usually take something away from them that I didn't see in the previews. This was not the case with this movie.

I would not be surprised if Hollywood wrote this movie in five minutes, or while they were sleeping.

Joshua Duhamel's character is insincere, he goes from not wanting to raise Sophie, to being one of the world's most involved Dad in about 5 minutes screen time.

While I usually love Katherine Heigl (27 Dresses is one of my favorite movies) and the type cast she represents on the screen, a strong, independent, intelligent woman, this movie did not expand her acting abilities.

The reason this move would be worth seeing at all is the social worker, Janine (Sarah Burns). While I do not think her portrayal of the part was realistic of a professional social worker, it was unexpected and she left the audience wondering, what would happen if a social worker really acted like that and told people as hilariously as she did to "get their shit together."


No comments:

Post a Comment